Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Little Bit More Done

ONION MARMALADE.
The large daphne in the courtyard has almost broken into full flower and the sweet smell is somewhat overpowering. Last spring in the excitement of the loss of our water restrictions here I decided to plant my old vegetable garden in potatoes. I did get some nice Kipfler potatoes but the garden was not a great success as the bed had been neglected for years and I did not add any manure or mulch. I decided to leave the small potatoes in the ground and try to improve the soil. I have planted board beans amongst the potatoes and plan to cut them down at ground level leaving the roots in the soil and cut the tops up with the shovel and mulch the garden with the tops, hoping that this will add some much needed nitrogen to the soil. I have raked up the leaves from under the fruit trees and used them to mulch the potatoes, if the wind does not blow them away that is. The back yard is looking very bare as so much of my garden is deciduous. I have decided to get rid of some more roses as with my tendinitis I can’t use secateurs  and there is so much pruning to do here each year and I have been getting my helper to do it for me. The new season fruit trees are now in stock at the nursery. I have very little room left here to plant any new trees but there are a few bare spaces from trees that did not survive the drought but the most difficult thing is deciding what to replace them with?  
 I have been reading through my old work journal, a book of recipes that I took to work with me. I came across a recipe for onion marmalade and was inspired to make it again. It pushed my memory a bit as the version that I made is different to the recipe that is in my journal. The marmalade is nice to serve with meats and also good in toasted sandwiches, goes well with cheese, and can also be a nice addition to an antipasto platter.

Debbie’s Onion Marmalade

1 ½ kg brown onions
2 small bay leaves
125g unsalted butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup sugar
1 cup red wine
½ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons drained capers
freshly ground black pepper to taste.

Peel onions, cut in half lengthwise and slice finely. Melt the butter in a deep non stick fry pan; add the onions, bay leaves and olive oil. Cook over a very low heat turning regularly until the onions are very soft.
This can take up to 40 minutes, patience is required here but the flavor will reward you. Place the onion mixture in a sieve to drain off the excess butter, but don’t throw it out, there is too much flavor there. Use some of it next time you cook. Return the onion mixture to the pan, add sugar and let the onions caramelize a bit. Add remaining ingredients and cook gently over a low heat for 40 minutes. If the liquid in the mixture reduces too much you can add some water. Don’t be tempted to add more wine as it won’t reduce and you will spoil the flavor. When cooked place the marmalade in warm sterilized jars. The marmalade keeps well in the fridge.

So what did I do differently compared to the recipe?
I used a lot more butter to cook the onions and cooked them for longer.
I only used half the amount of sugar and used it to caramelize the onions.
I also added the capers and used red wine instead of white.
The original recipe may look a lot prettier than mine and to be honest I have never made it.
When I made my version at the restaurant, we served it warm with grilled kangaroo.

This is the recipe from my journal.

THREE ONION AND LEEK MARMALADE

30g butter
1 leek sliced
3 red onions coarsely chopped
2 brown onions coarsely chopped
1 white onion coarsely chopped
½ cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter over a medium heat and cook leeks and onions until transparent, stirring occasionally. This should take 15 to 20 minutes over low heat. Combine balsamic vinegar, white wine, sugar, salt and pepper and add to the onion mixture. Simmer gently for 50 minutes, adding extra water if necessary. Bottle mixture in warm sterilized jars and keep in the fridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment