Friday, August 3, 2012

Bring in the Big Guns!


MUMS GINGER CRUNCH BISCUITS.
My friend and garden helper came today to help me prune the fruit trees. Even though I have pruned them in the past year, a 30 year old tree can put on at least 7 feet of new growth. So pruning and getting rid of the rubbish is a big job. I have many fond memories of these biscuits of Mum’s and I made them to take for afternoon tea at Auntie Rae’s 100th birthday party. Like most of Mums old recipes’ this one is in pounds and ounces so I made the biscuits again today and converted the recipe to metric for Coen. My scales show both metric and imperial but I have used the conversion table in my Cookery the Australian Way book that I used in class at High School.

Mums Ginger Crunch Biscuits

Biscuit Base
125 grams butter
60 grams sugar
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger

Topping
4 tablespoons icing sugar
1 heaped tablespoon butter
1 level teaspoon ground ginger
1 dessertspoon golden syrup
1 teaspoon lemon essence

Method
Cream butter and sugar, add sifted dry ingredients, and mix well. Press into a well greased tin and bake in a moderate oven 180c 15 to 20 minutes.For the topping, place all ingredients in a saucepan, stir over a gentle heat until well mixed together. Pour over the biscuit mixture while both are still warm but not too hot.
This time I have left out the lemon essence.

No comments:

Post a Comment