Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Simple Beetroot Borscht

Beetroot Borscht
Sometimes I love being home alone for lunch as I can indulge myself with something that I like without getting stares across the table from someone who does not share my enthusiasm. Although I like chunks of beef in my borscht, this is a great quick lunch to enjoy after wandering around the garden collecting the ingredients. My kind of food, strait from the garden to the table.

Simple Beetroot Borscht

3 medium sized beetroot
1 large brown onion
good quality beef stock
Greek style yogurt
fresh chives
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper,

Method.
Cut the onion very finely and saute in olive oil till golden, peel and finely dice the beetroot, add to the onion and cover with beef stock. Season with salt and pepper and simmer gently until the beetroot is tender. Serve with a spoon full of yogurt and a good scattering of chopped chives.

The success of this borscht is the quality of the beef stock, home made, slowly and lovingly cooked. Commercial stocks although convenient, taste NOTHING like real home made stock. 

No comments:

Post a Comment