Monday, October 15, 2012

Summer Planting Begins

 Asparagus, poached egg with butter and lemon sauce
It is that time of the year when after a long winter, summer planting can begin. I think I walked around for ages yesterday just scratching my head as I really don't have a lot of space for new planting. But I need to get my tomatoes planted.....if I can just decide where to plant them? My neighbour asked me if I would like some sweet corn to plant? But he gave me two punnets of seedlings, so I have to find space for them as well now. One punnet is planted, some 'long sweet yellow' capsicums, which grow well here and don't need such a long growing season to begin to produce. One 'Tommy Toe' tomato, a heritage variety that has wonderful flavour and small fruits, so much better than 'cherry' tomatoes to use in salads and they grow on long trusses so you can roast them on the truss for an impressive looking vegetable addition to your dinner. I also planted some Lebanese eggplant that fruit earlier than the classic bell shaped ones. They are very prolific, so I am looking forward to eating them. A few Italian parsley seedlings planted as well. Lots more work tomorrow. I love week day lunches as  I can have whatever I like. Not many asparagus spears at once but a wonderful light lunch for one! 

Asparagus, poached egg with butter and lemon sauce.

Cook asparagus in salted boiling water until just tender, serve with poached egg and a sauce of butter, lemon juice, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and garnish with chopped Italian parsley. How simple is that!

No comments:

Post a Comment