Saturday, April 27, 2013

Middle Eastern Style Layered Salad

Middle Eastern Style layered salad
It is the end of season and most of the summer planting is now finished. I decided to make this salad with the last of the eggplant and zucchini. I have been making this salad for years now and often wonder why I don’t make it more often? Maybe it is because it takes a long time to cook all the ingredients. When I worked at the restaurant I would brush the vegetables with olive oil and bake them on trays in the oven while I got on with my other work. So why don’t I do that at home? I usually serve it along with other Middle Eastern dishes like falafel, tabbouleh, small meatballs or kebabs and some kind of bread. Usually khoubiz or an orange and anise bread that I like to make. Left over salad is nice to eat on its own for lunch the next day with a piece of bread. 

1 large eggplant
2 large red capsicums
3 small zucchinis
1/3 cup olive oil
pine nuts or toasted pistachios chopped

YOGURT DRESSING
I cup good quality Greek yogurt 
1 clove garlic, crushed 
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped 
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped 
1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds 
2 teaspoons honey 

METHOD: 
Quarter capsicums and remove seeds and membranes, cut into slices and cook gently in a fry pan in a small amount of olive oil until soft.
Slice eggplant and cook in a small amount of oil for about 10 minutes or until slightly browned on both sides and soft. Drain on absorbent paper.
Slice zucchini lengthwise and fry in a small amount of olive oil until browned and soft on both sides.
To make the yogurt dressing, combine all ingredients.
Spread a quarter of the yogurt dressing onto a serving plate, top with a third of the eggplant, a third of the capsicum and one third of the zucchini.
Repeat the layers twice and top with the remaining dressing. Sprinkle with nuts and coriander leaves for  the garnish.

2 comments: