Friday, January 3, 2014

Mums Caramels


When I was a child at primary school our annual fete was always stalls of home baked goodies. It was the only time that my Mother baked sweets, marshmallows set in small cake pans and dusted in icing sugar. If I was lucky Mum would make coconut ice, delicious layers of white and pink sugary treats. My favorite was her caramels and as I got older I was allowed to make them. When I went on to secondary school we had to drive to Great Western to catch the school bus to Stawell. Every fete day the bus driver would bail me up as I got on the bus 'Any of those caramels?' Fred always gave a donation more than we would have sold the caramels for at the school. I only ever arrived with money and my poor Mother used to think that they thought us too lazy to make anything for a contribution and sent money instead....poor Mum Fred just loved her caramels!  

Mums Caramels
1 tin sweetened condensed milk
1/4 lb sugar
2 onz butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Method
Place all ingredients into a heavy based saucepan and gently bring to the boil.
Dark spots will appear but keep stirring till a nice light brown. Pour into a greased dish and when almost cold cut into squares.

I know that the recipe is in imperial but you can convert to metric on your mobile phone.
I wonder what Mum would have thought of that!  

No comments:

Post a Comment