Saturday, December 27, 2014

Salted Caramel and Pistachio Ice Cream

Years ago when I worked at Chez Suzy I made a lot of different types of ice cream. Usually made with a Crème anglaise base and now that to me seems like a bit too much effort. I have discovered over the years that some people make ice cream from sweetened condescend milk. My Grandma Herd always made ice cream with an evaporated milk base, The thought of Grandma's ice cream takes me back to Sunday visits to the farm in Summer. This week I stumbled across an ice cream made with condescend milk and pouring cream. Anything quick and simple is worth trying. This ice cream is made with a bought tin of Nestle Top 'n' Fill Caramel. It is expensive and you can make your own by simmering an unopened tin of plain condensed milk in a saucepan of water. If you do this make certain that the saucepan does not boil dry as the tin will explode and wait till the caramel cools down before you attempt to open the tin as it will be very hot.

Salted Caramel and Pistachio Ice Cream
1, 380g tin Nestle Top 'n' Fill Caramel or make your own as described above
600ml thickened cream
1 teaspoon salt flakes
100g  Pistachio nuts
Method
Place caramel and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk out any lumps. Pour in the cream and whisk on a high speed until thick and fluffy. Roughly chop the Pistachio nuts and reserving some to garnish the top, fold the nuts through the ice cream. Pour into a shallow dish. Sprinkle with the reserved nuts and freeze for about 6 hours, depending on how deep the dish is.

This is definitely the most simple ice cream that I have ever made And believe me I have made a lot! 
All I can say is expect a lot of variations!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment