Friday, April 3, 2015

Roasted Vegetable Pizza

Autumn, one of my favorite seasons. There is a chill in the air but sadly no rain to quench my very dry garden. Produce is slowing down and I find myself wondering if I will plant for winter veg or dig the beds over and let them rest? The dilemma is always the matter of never enough room to grow everything that I want to plant. Late winter varieties are not harvested before the main spring planting can begin. So do I forsake some of my own fresh vegetables over the coming months to have the space ready for spring? Well I suppose only time will tell.
Today is Good Friday. A day that most people who still find a need to follow Christian tradition and refrain from eating meat tend to eat fish. My near 20 years in the restaurant industry taught me that most guests tend to order the steak! My mother always served smoked cod with parsley sauce for lunch on Good Friday. Not my favorite, but at least we only had it once a year. Writing about it takes me back to my childhood growing up on a huge sheep grazing property. The kitchen warm from the wood stove that was my mothers only source of equipment to cook on. The stove never went out and although it was dam hot during an Australian summer. It was certainly warm and inviting in the cooler weather. The scent of my mothers wonderful food filled the house. Modern homes have lost that feeling of simple comfort, when the kitchen was really the heart of a home.
So as a alternative to the more common feeling of needing to eat fish for lunch today we will be having a Roasted Vegetable Pizza. Bread dough topped with my tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, baby spinach, roasted red onions, tomatoes, red and yellow capsicums, beetroot and a scattering of black olives and chopped parsley. Cooked on a pizza stone and topped with a little more cheese a few minutes before serving.
I do have my own wood stove in the courtyard but I don't feel like lighting it to cook just one pizza. Maybe something different soon though as I do love to use it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment